How to Apply for Grants
Prospective applicants are encouraged to contact the Foundation before they submit a grant proposal to determine that their proposed program falls within the Foundation's areas of interest.
The Henry Mayo Newhall Foundation does not have a standard application form. Applicants should send a complete proposal to the Foundation containing the following elements:
A Cover Letter:
- A brief description of the applying organization and the proposed program.
- The amount of funds requested.
- A statement that the organization's governing board supports the grant proposal.
- The name, address and telephone number of the responsible contact person.
Specific Details of the Proposed Program:
- A description of the purpose and need for the program and the problems it addresses.
- The program goals and objectives to be achieved.
- Program plan: a description of the geographic area and target population to be served; the specific activities and timeline needed to achieve program goals and objectives.
- Measurable objectives to evaluate program results.
- The names and qualifications of the key personnel who will conduct the program.
- The names and principal affiliations of the organization's officers, directors and senior staff.
- A brief history of the organization.
- A description of services, past accomplishments and capacity to execute the program.
- A detailed program budget itemized by standard accounting revenue and expense categories.
- The specific fund amount requested from The Henry Mayo Newhall Foundation and how these funds will be used.
- The names of other private and public funders approached for support of the program, including the amounts requested and received to date.
- Organizational financial statements: the current year operating budget of revenue and expenses, and most recent 12 month financial statement, preferably audited. If an audited statement is unavailable, provide unaudited financial statements of revenue and expenses and a copy of IRS Form 990.
- A copy of the organization's current IRS tax exemption letter.
- Any other supporting materials that would be helpful in evaluating the grant proposal.